Hi, I’m Laura.
I currently work at the International Rescue Committee (IRC), in the Airbel Center, our R&D Lab. Our mission is to design and test life-changing, scalable solutions for people affected by crisis. Read more about our projects here.
I lead the Dandelion project, with the goal to design learning and teaching experiences for increasing Social Emotional Learning skills and literacy.
Prior to joining the IRC, I led the Mozilla Foundation’s research efforts where I ran a multifaceted ethnographic study in 7 countries, our product design research, and an experimental year long study, the Digital Skills Observatory, of 200 first-time smartphone users in Kenya.
- Unlocking the potential of technology, BBC News, April 2017 by me.
- The woman whose phone ‘misdiagnosed HIV’, BBC News, April 2017 by Jane Wakefiled based on the Digital Skills Observatory.
- Au Kenya, le Net pour le meilleur mais aussi pour le pire, Le Monde, April 2017 by Damien Leloup based on the Digital Skills Observatory.
- Smartphones are making Kenya’s gambling problem even worse, Quartz Africa March 2017, by Lily Kuo based on the Digital Skills Observatory.
- In Kenya, women’s smartphone access is controlled by men, Gizmodo, March 2017, by Holly Brockwell based on the Digital Skills Observatory.
- Smartphone users in emerging markets deserve better than a watered-down Internet, The Whashington Post, October 2015, by Mark Surman